Monday, March 21, 2011

Get the WEBUPD8 PPA!

I am sure some of you probably know about this already, but I still want to share it because this is one of those things that is bringing constant joy to my Linux desktops lately: The WEBUPD8 PPA and WEBUPD8 themes PPA.

The great ANDREW and team are actively maintaining these Webupd8.org PPA, packaging and adding great GTK themes, interesting applications, icon themes and a lot of desktop candy that we all use and love. To give you an example, I have downloaded the latest Faenza 0.90 updates, the amazing Wow GTK theme and many more, all of which make my desktop sleek and beautiful.

Updates are constantly happening at breakneck pace, so much so that sometimes it's hard to follow what is going on, which sweet apps or themes are waiting for you to download. Andrew has put together a sleek blog that works as a change log. Yeah, you guessed it: PPA.WEBUPD8.ORG.


Click on image to go to http://ppa.webupd8.org/

WANT SOME?

I very much encourage you to take a quick look through Andrew's blog. If you like what you see, just follow these simple steps to add this PPA to your software sources:

- The Webupd8 PPA holds many interesting applications that users may not easily find in their official repositories. To add it, open a terminal and enter the following command:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

- The Webupd8 Themes PPA includes lots of great window decoration and control themes, icons and other kinds of eyecandy. Once again, open a terminal and enter the following command:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes

In both cases you will need to update your sources before you can download anything:

sudo apt-get update

To install apps and/or themes, simply follow the method you feel more comfortable with. Package names are always part of each one of the updates published. Now, download stuff, enhance and beautify your desktop, and if you get a chance, say "Thanks!" to Andrew and his team for the fabulous work they are putting together.

Have fun!

NOTE: In case anybody didn't notice, this post is only good for Ubuntu and its derivatives.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, this post is not meant to sound trollish: The themes and apps shown here look intriguing. I'll probably try them out.

    I want to mention WEBUPD8 is one of the few places where I found articles on installing Nautilus-Elementary. That is a replacement for the 'regular' Nautilus file manager packaged with Ubuntu. I tried N-E by adding the PPA as described there. I *thought* it was a big improvement -- definitely was better in terms of looks.

    Later, I decided Nautilus-Elementary was quite buggy. I had a lot of trouble removing it from my system, although I did succeed with a bit of effort.

    I'm not blaming anybody. I'm not even sure whether there exists any relationship between N-E's devs and the WEBUPD8.ORG. I just want to warn against installing Nautilus-Elementary. Your mileage may vary.

    ..

    By the way, congrats on 100 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrew: My pleasure!

    @danny8: I am sorry to hear you had issues with Nautilus elementary, but since I use it many of machines under different distros, I can tell you it is not buggy, never been for me, at least. Perhaps the installation wasn't clean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading your comment made we want to give N-E another try, if only to remember exactly why I make the "it's buggy" claim.

    Using Ubuntu for a while (I normally use Arch Linux) reminded me how I really don't care for the default
    Nautilus toolbar. No way to edit the location, yech! I thought about Nautilus-Elementary for a minute without reinstalling it.

    I definitely like N-E's toolbar changes, but I could never get Clutterflow to work. (I watched the youtube videos; it looks neat.) The built-in terminal pane worked OK. Maybe my 2 GB RAM is not enough for Clutterflow.

    In final, I hated seeing menu items for features that didn't work right. But the N-E toolbar is great.

    Hope I didn't swerve too far off-topic.

    ---

    I'm in the process of checking the PPAs you mentioned. I just looked at the PulseAudio equalizer app. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually only add a repository when it is cogently endorsed by many in whom I place trust. What other than vast personal knowledge assures one that what is 'found' with this more expansive PPA approach is "good enough to install"?

    ReplyDelete