Sunday, May 16, 2010

Review: Peppermint OS

While we wait for the release of some of the major distros' mid year upgrades, I thought I'd present a new Linux flavor which looks and performs very well: Peppermint OS.

I recommend you pay a visit to their official SITE for a full summary of features, but here's a list with some highlights:

- Peppermint OS foundations are designed to provide optimum performance. As a result, it is particularly fast overall, specially with the default window manager, LXDE.

- Along those lines, many of the popular applications usually preinstalled in other Linux distros were left out in favor of low disk space usage. Instead, Peppermint OS approach heavily leans towards the cloud, including Google Docs, Gmail and Google Reader among others.

- Ease of use is another priority, with applications working from the get go. In my experience, minimal tweaking was required, none for basic functionality.

INSTALLATION

Peppermint OS uses the popular LiveCD for installation. You can download the ISO image from HERE. Simply copy it to a CD and boot from it.

The boot process is not worthy of any special attention. Starting with a simple text menu, the OS loads considerably fast for a LiveCD and before you know it, the LXDE desktop is in front of you. From there on, simply click on the "Install Peppermint OS" shortcut and follow the usual steps.

Peppermint OS lineage includes Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint. That shows on the installation wizard as well as on many internal features.

PEPPERMINT AT WORK

So how does it do? Pretty well, actually!

As expected, the boot process is quite fast. Getting to the login screen is particularly quick, after briefly passing through a splash screen similar to the latest Ubuntu's.

There are three window managers available: KDE, OpenBox and LXDE, which is the default. For me, it was the first time using it and I found it interesting and quick. Don't expect much in terms of eyecandy tweaking, but I can't say it looks bad either.


The Peppermint OS desktop and the Internet applications available.

As I mentioned already, Peppermint OS is Internet and cloud oriented. Using Prism, it presents several such applications wrapped as if they were installed locally. Gmail, Google Reader, Google Docs, Seesmic web and others come as default Internet and Office applications. I particularly liked finding Dropbox preinstalled as well.


The Peppermint OS Office applications installed are all cloud based.


Seesmic is among the Cloud based applications available, a great Twitter client.

File management

Using LXDE, the PCMan file manager is the default. For those favoring speed over other criteria, PCMan is a dream. Look&Feel changes are very limited, though.


The Peppermint OS LXDE PCMan File manager.

Interestingly, you can access Dolphin from LXDE, so it is a bit of having the best of worlds.


KDE's Dolphin is also available for those leaning towards good looks.

System stuff

Most system features I tested were working smoothly and fast. Reconnecting to the default wireless connection when logging in was particularly simple and quick. Inserting a USB drive brought up the usual dialog, as displayed below:


USB plug-in dialog.

The system appearance settings are managed through the LXDE manager as expected, but I found it confusing to see the System settings managed through KDE's own manager. In fact, that happens as well when using KDE, which shows the LXDE system manager. For instance, trying to change system fonts from KDE was apparently changing those of LXDE and viceversa. I guess it is easy to work around the problem once you get the vibe, but seems like this piece requires some polishing.

Another system application I found very interesting is the Disk Utility.


Peppermint OS Disk Utility.

Among the features available, I found the Benchmark one to be very nice. After just a few seconds I was getting a nice graph showing read speed on my drive. (As you can see, I installed Peppermint OS on a USB drive)


Peppermint OS Disk Utility.

Firefox is the default Internet browser, sporting the latest 3.6.3 release. Although not as fast as in PCLinuxOS, it feels quicker than in does when running in Ubuntu. Flash player codecs were installed during installation, which is a nice thing.


Firefox is included and on the latest stable release.

Installing and updating Software

Peppermint OS uses Linux Mint's Update manager and Software Center. If you have used Linux Mint, you know they are both easy to use. My main complaint about both has always been their poor performance in general.

The Software Center is quite nice, using an interface that is very similar to that in Ubuntu. I don't know who's copying who, but they are almost identical. In all fairness, I think it was Linux Mint who first started using this concept, back when Ubuntu relied solely on the Synaptic Package manager.


Mint's Software Center main screen.

Many of the applications available have user reviews, as well as long descriptions which provide great explanations for the end user. Screenshots are mostly missing, but I am guessing they will be populated eventually. Aside from the categories displayed, the search feature works pretty well, returning search results quite quickly. It is the installation process that can get painfully slow.


Mint's Software Center search results screen for Minitube.

The Mint Update manager particularly can get ridiculously slow. I am not sure if this is down to Linux Mint's own repositories lacking bandwidth, Peppermint's repositories or both, but it can easily get frustrating.


Mint Update main screen.

Audio & Video

As could be expected, most audio and video apps are cloud based. Some interesting ones are installed locally though, such as the great Banshee audio player or the lightweight Asunder CD burner.


Peppermint OS has Audio and Video covered with a number of cool applications.

All in all, I think there is enough here to get your thirst for video and music satisfied both while connected and when offline.

WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE...

Peppermint OS is a very nice project with a fresh and very interesting approach to how Linux should shape up for modern users. Far from the extremely minimalistic approach taken by Google with Google Chrome OS, Peppermint OS actually keeps enough local weight to keep your attention when you can't go online.

In fact, one thing I specially like about Peppermint's approach is that it provides lots of flexibility. On the one hand, you may choose to go minimalistic, going for an OS that can take as little as 512MB of hard drive space. Nothing would prevent you from installing many of the applications available and beefing up the local catalog though, consequently getting closer to a standard desktop OS.

All in all, Peppermint OS is a very nice Linux twist which I definitely recommend trying.

Have fun!

41 comments:

  1. Nice review. I'm gonna give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect OS on my Netbook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our group here at Sandia National Labs reviewed Peppermint OS and was pleased with the operating system. Although the customer support on their IRC channel was rude and disrespectful to their guests. Also Kendall did not seem to entertain the idea of making more money or being funded for working with us on the cloud products. He was more worried about going for a drink at the local tavern. Good OS but not very delightful work ethic and customer service. Thats why linux doesn't make it in this world. To many hacker want to bees and not enough real world business experience. Xubuntu has a flavor that is made with more quality and a much more stable environment. They also have better customer service and reliable upgrades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Peppermint One Respin installed on my netbook. It's not just a "very nice Linux twist". It's a terrific Linux distro with a personality all its own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanx for the revieuw.
    this is the note- / netbook distro for me!
    <3 it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent, I think you're very explicative. Openbox is designed to be small, fast, and fully compliant with the Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual and Extended Window Manager Hints. It supports many features such as menus by which the user can control applications or which display various dynamic information. 23jj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review. I an new to linux and tried this OS on my 4 y/o mac book pro (via Virtualbox). It flies! I am seriously thinking about installing it as my default os!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To many hacker want to bees and not enough real world business experience. Xubuntu has a flavor that is made with more quality and a much more stable environment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my friend, i am a begginer en linux so i need to learn a lot of things, i hope that we can be in contact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. I have read most of them and got a lot from them. To me, you are doing the great work. Carry on this. work at home In the end, I would like to thank you for making such a nice website

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is really very cool blog post found here... Keep posting such an awesome blog posts.

    Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like read more information about this, is very interesting! Thanks for the information. A worth bookmarking blog. I would be reading your articles regularly from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge.Thank you very much for sharing this knowledge.this graph really conveyed the part which i was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I am New, I have been looking around this board for about a few hours as a guest. I found it extremely and it has helped out allot. I hope to hang around for abit and contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep it up!!! You are too good at your work… how do you manage to keep writing superbly each time. Is there some hidden secret which you do not want to share…

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've really given me the most helpful hint on what GPS navigator to choose. Though I haven't tried it, but by just reading your review I know it well work beyond ordinary. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog while searching online. You have made some informative points here which i like very much.thanks for sharing all this here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic, i think that this post is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey this is a great blog with various topics... its helpul...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your web site.
    I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related information ended up
    being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I
    hoped for before you know it in the least. Reasonably unusual.
    Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, web site theme .
    a tones way for your client to communicate. Excellent task..

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic, i think that this post is very good. orjin krem

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fine blog. I got a lot of great information.
    I’ve been keeping an eye on this technology for awhile.
    It’s fascinating how it keeps changing,
    yet some of the core elements stay the same.
    Have you seen much change since Google made their most recent acquisition in the field?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would like read more information about this, is very interesting! Thanks for the information. A worth bookmarking blog. I would be reading your articles regularly from now on. This leads me to believe there's something built into this tagname dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Panic attacks are becoming increasingly common among cosmopolitan adults today.  In this context, you should know that panic attacks causes differ from one person to another. However, there are some common reasons for anxiety disorders…

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a superb posting, I identified your weblog web page
    executing study google for any related topic and came to this.
    I couldnt uncover to substantially supplemental info and
    details on this write-up, so it was pleasant to find this 1.
    I'll in all probability finish up currently being again once
    more to appear at another content articles that you've got yet another time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post! I am just starting out in community management/marketing media and trying to learn how to do it well - resources like this article are incredibly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks this made for intresting reading.
    I love your wordpress theme, I frequently come back here and I dont know why.
    I just genuinely like your web site lol…
    I just now read something simular to this on That Are I believe they might have stolen your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made
    in writing this article. I am desiring the same best work from you in the future as well.
    In fact your fanciful writing abilities has prompted me to start my own blog now.
    Actually the blogging is distributing its wings rapidly.
    Your write up is a fine instance of it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi guys, I want to say thanks for this useful information, I shared it on my wall to be honnest cause I LIKE it(:

    ReplyDelete
  31. There is no system like linux..just the best!
    Cograts for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  32. you seem to have deep knowledge of Linux. thanks for sharing all these info with us.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post! Keep it up the good work and also keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, nice post,there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.Thank you for sharing to us.Please one more post about that..

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would like read more information about this, is very interesting! Thanks for the information. A worth bookmarking blog. I would be reading your articles regularly from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I could tell that we’re on the same interest and obsession. Good to know someone I could share my ideas. Looking forward to know and learn some more from you. I'll be glad to share my own thoughts to you soon. Thank you for sharing such valuable articles. More power!

    ReplyDelete
  38. i truthfully enjoy your own writing kind, very remarkable,
    don’t give up as well as keep writing due to the fact that it simply just worth to follow it. looking forward to see a whole lot more of your current well written articles, enjoy your day
    London Chartered Accountants

    ReplyDelete