Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Try Google Chrome OS!!

...Or Chromium OS, for that matter. This is essentially the same code with just a few changes added. Here´s how you can quickly set up Chromium OS on a 1GB (minimum) USB drive from your Ubuntu desktop.

1.- Download the IMG file from HERE. Extract the compressed file contents into a location of your choice.

2.- Install USB-ImageWriter using Synaptic Package Manager (or any other installation method).

3.- Open USB ImageWriter from Main menu > Applications > Accesories.

4.- Simply select the location where you extracted the IMG file and the device it should write to.

5.- After a few minutes you have a bootable Chromium OS USB drive!

This is a great way to check Google Chrome OS out. I personally don´t like this computing model Google is proposing, but I agree it may be a good thing for people who exclusively browse the web and can get away with the limitations Google cloud computing apps suffer from.

Worth giving a try for fun!

NOTE: Thanks to hexxeh for the work he´s put into Chromium OS!

4 comments:

  1. I think google it's trying to separate people from desktop applications such Office. Still now it's hard to work without it. (and I try with Google apps and open office)
    And of course all applications MUST TO BE from right now developed to be browsed by Internet. No heavy clients

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Miguel!

    Thanks for your comments!

    I personally don't like "MUST's", probably one of the reasons why I am a proud Linux user. It's all about freedom (or should be anyways).

    I spend my time coding, playing around with design applications such as GIMP, Inkscape or blender, not to mention the hundreds of hours I put into recording music with my digital studio! Obviously none of that is possible within Google's cloud computing model, and I don't see it happening any time soon.

    Me, I am staying with my fat client model, but for those who enjoy Google Chrome, I would say go for it! I would only recommend to use this Chromium community supported version of it. Your privacy will thank you in the long run.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Google Chrome is very good, I have heard some not good reviews , but I love it because Chrome's strength is its application performance and JavaScript processing speed, both of which were independently verified by multiple websites. 22dd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am staying with my fat client model, but for those who enjoy Google Chrome, I would say go for it! I would only recommend to use this Chromium community supported version of it

    ReplyDelete